Urban League Twin Cities works to support students and the parents who support them on their education journey. We offer classes and training opportunities to help elementary through high school students become ready, prepared and excited for their future. And we know some parents might need tools and resources to support their students, so we provide a program for parents as well.
BLACK GEMS: Project Ready, Preparing a New Generation For Success
Are you a high school student interested in building skills for success in high school, college and beyond? If so, BLACK GEMS is for you. This program helps prepare 9-12 grade students for the college experience. We integrate academic skill building with life-skill development and college culture awareness. Seniors are also paired with a mentor who will help them through their freshman year of college.
Black Gems offers students:
- Life skills training
- Basic academic support in math, reading, and writing
- Money management and an investment club
- Computer training in Microsoft Suite with option for certification for those who qualify
- Social and emotional learning covering topics such as peer pressure, developing a support system and coping through transitions
- Help with the college application and admission process and scholarship tips
When: Thursdays, from 4:00-5:30 pm beginning September 30, 2021 thru April 22nd, 2022. Saturday computer classes currently in development.
Where: Urban League Twin Cities, 2100 Plymouth Avenue North – Minneapolis, MN 55411 (Fully vaccinated students can meet in person. All others will meet virtually.)
The annual fee-based tour of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) will be based on the status of the pandemic.
For additional information, contact Marquita Stephens, Director, Strategic Initiatives at 612-302-3114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.