FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 1, 2020 – Minneapolis, MN — Steven Belton, President and Chief Executive Officer of Urban League Twin Cities issued the following statement:
- Immediately arrest and charge the three former police officers that restrained Mr. Floyd and along with Derek Chauvin caused his murder.
- Appoint an independent, outside investigator and a special prosecutor.
- Appoint an independent, civilian-lead panel to review and reconstruct state police training and licensing protocols. Evidence of excessive use of force must explicitly be named as a basis for license revocation.
- Pass legislation mandating the appointment of an independent investigator and special prosecutor for all officer involved shootings in Minnesota.
- The legislature must appropriate and the philanthropic sector match funds to support and restore African American and African descendant businesses, neighborhoods, families and individuals destroyed, disrupted or displaced by violence following the killing of George Floyd.